- having a double curve like the letter
- curved like the letter (uncial form of sigma)
- of the sigmoid flexure of the colon
Origin of sigmoidClassical Greek sigmoeid?s: see sigma and -oid
- Having the shape of the letter S.
- Of or relating to the sigmoid colon.
Origin of sigmoidGreek sīgmoeidēs sīgma sigma ; see sigma . -oeidēs -oid
- (geometry) Curved in two directions, like the letter "S", or the Greek Ï‚ (sigma).
- Having a serpentine shape; resembling S or Êƒ
- (mathematics) Exhibiting logistic growth; having a graph that accelerates until it reaches a carrying capacity
- (geometry, archaic) Semi-circular, like the lunar sigma (similar to English C).
- (anatomy) Relating to the sigmoid flexure of the large intestine.
- (mathematics) A function having a graph whose shape is sigmoid. See and Mathworld .
From Ancient Greek ÏƒÎ¹Î³Î¼Î¿ÎµÎ¹Î´Î®Ï‚ (sigmoeidá¸—s), from ÏƒÎ¯Î³Î¼Î± (sÃgma) or Ïƒá¿–Î³Î¼Î± (sÃ®gma, “sigma") + Îµá¼¶Î´Î¿Ï‚ (eÃ®dos, “form, likeness"). Compare with French sigmoÃ¯de.