- The definition of a shrug is a women's short jacket or sweater with wide sleeves.
An example of a shrug is the sleeves that Natalie Portman's character in the movie Black Swan would wear over her leotard when dancing.
- To shrug is defined as to raise the shoulders in an expression of doubt, rejection or indifference.
An example of to shrug is how a person would raise and lower their shoulders to express that they don't know what they want to do.
shrug definition by Webster's New World
Origin: Middle English schruggen, origin, originally , to shiver (as with cold)
- the gesture so made
- a woman's short jacket or sweater with wide, loose sleeves
shrug definition by American Heritage Dictionary
verb shrugged shrugged, shrug·ging, shrugs verb, transitive
- An expressive gesture of raising the shoulders.
- A woman's short jacket or sweater open down the front.
Origin: Middle English shruggen.
shrug - Phrases/Idioms