shot putshot put
- a contest in which a heavy metal ball is propelled for distance with an overhand thrust from the shoulder
- a single put of the shot
- An athletic event in which contestants attempt to put a heavy metal ball as far as possible.
- The standard ball used in this competition.
Andre Niklaus of Germany at the 2007 World Championships in Athletics
(usually uncountable, plural shot puts)
- (athletics, uncountable) An athletics event where a competitor must hurl a heavy metal orb as far as possible. Because of the weight of the ball this is done with a pushing motion rather than a throwing motion.
- (athletics, countable) A trial of shot put.
- (athletics, countable) A ball used to perform the action of shot put.