either sleeve, esp. a long sleeve, of a shirt: often used in pl.
- in one's shirtsleevesusually shirt′sleeved·
- suitable for being in one's shirtsleeves: shirtsleeve weather
- plain, direct, and informal: shirtsleeve philosophy
in one's shirtsleeves
not wearing a coat, jacket, etc. over one's shirt
- The sleeve of a shirt.
- shirtsleeves The state of wearing no coat, jacket, or other outer garment over one's shirt: dined in shirtsleeves; balmy weather that had them down to their shirtsleeves.
- also shirt·sleeved Dressed without a coat: shirtsleeve spectators; a shirtsleeved orchestra.
- also shirtsleeves Calling for the removal of a coat or jacket; not requiring a coat or jacket for comfort: shirtsleeve weather; a shirtsleeves picnic.
- also shirtsleeves Marked by informality or straightforwardness: shirtsleeve politics; a shirtsleeves conference.