- Shire is defined as very rural parts of England or to counties in England.
An area in the rural midlands of England is an example of a shire.
shire definition by Webster's New World
- any of the former districts or regions in Great Britain
- any of the counties of England, esp. one with a name ending in -shire
- any of a breed of large, powerful draft horse with feathery fetlocks, originally raised in the Shires and much used in the Middle Ages as a war horse
Origin: Middle English ; from Old English scir, office, charge, akin to Old High German scīra, official charge
shire definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- A former administrative division of Great Britain, equivalent to a county.
- often Shire A Shire horse.
Origin: Middle English, from Old English scīr, official charge, administrative district.
shire - Phrases/Idioms