- former county & former district of N Scotland: also, for the county, In·ver·ness′-shire
- burgh at the head of Moray Firth
- A long, loose overcoat with a detachable cape having a round collar.
- The cape of such an overcoat.
Origin of invernessAfter Inverness
A city of northern Scotland on the Moray Firth at the terminus of the Caledonian Canal.x
- Of Inverness by the Highland railway.
- LOCH ERICHT, a lake partly in Inverness-shire and partly in Perthshire, Scotland, lying between the districts of Badenoch on the N.
- Of this line belongs to Perthshire, the rest, forming the major portion, to Inverness-shire.
- LOCH SHIEL, a lake near the Atlantic seaboard of Scotland, lying between the district of Moidart in Inverness-shire and the districts of Ardgour and Sunart in Argyllshire.
- Forres is one of the Inverness district group of parliamentary burghs, the other members being Nairn, Fortrose and Inverness.