- a simple form of hockey, esp. as played by children
- the curved stick or club used in this game
Origin of shinnyprobably ; from shin
Origin of shinny; from shin + -y
nounpl. shin·nies also shin·neys
- Ice, street, or field hockey played informally with a ball, can, or similar object.
- The stick used when playing this game.
Origin of shinnyProbably from the phrase shin ye, a cry used in the game.
intransitive verbshin·nied, shin·ny·ing, shin·nies
Origin of shinnyAlteration of shin1.
(third-person singular simple present shinnies, present participle shinnying, simple past and past participle shinnied)
- To climb in an awkward manner.
Shin n (noun) + -y.
(uncountable) or shinny hockey
Variation of shinty.
- Moonshine (illegal alcohol)