- [also sing.]Old-fashioned trickery; mischief
- treacherous or deceitful tricks
- playful or mischievous tricks
Origin of shenanigansaltered from uncertain or unknown; perhaps Irish sionnachuighim, I play the fox
- Mischievous play, especially by children.
- Billy and Tom are playing noisily upstairs again. They're up to their usual shenanigans.
- A deceitful confidence trick, or mischief causing discomfort or annoyance.
- You should learn to spot their shenanigans and avoid being fooled.
Of uncertain origin.