- a fast Spanish dance, to the accompaniment of castanets
- the music for this dance, in 3/4 time
- a stanza of four to seven short lines, partly assonant, with a distinctive rhythm, orig. sung to this music
Origin of seguidillaSpanish ; from seguida, a following ; from seguir, to follow ; from Vulgar Latin sequere: see segue
- A Spanish stanza form of four or seven lines.
- a. A lively Spanish dance in triple meter.b. The music for this dance.
Origin of seguidillaSpanish, diminutive of seguida, sequence, from feminine past participle of seguir, to follow, from Vulgar Latin *sequere, from Latin sequ&imacron;; see sekw-1 in Indo-European roots.