- a fast Spanish dance, to the accompaniment of castanets
- the music for this dance, in 3/4 time
- a stanza of four to seven short lines, partly assonant, with a distinctive rhythm, orig. sung to this music
Origin of seguidillaSpanish from seguida, a following from seguir, to follow from Vulgar Latin sequere: see segue
- A Spanish stanza form of four or seven lines.
- a. A lively Spanish dance in triple meter.b. The music for this dance.
Origin of seguidillaSpanish diminutive of seguida sequence from feminine past participle of seguir to follow from Vulgar Latin sequere from Latin sequī ; see sekw-1 in Indo-European roots.