scutellum definition by Webster's New World
- Bot. any of various parts shaped like a shield
Origin: ModL < L scutella, a salver: see scuttleZool. a small, horny scale or plate
Origin: Modern Latin mistaken for Classical Latin scutulum: see scutellate
scutellum definition by American Heritage Dictionary
noun pl. scu·tel·la
- Zoology A shieldlike bony plate or scale, as on the thorax of some insects.
- Botany Any of several shield-shaped structures, such as the cotyledon of a grass.
Origin: New Latin scūtellum, from Latin, diminutive of scūtum, shield; see Scutum .
- scu·telˈlar adjective
scutellum - Science Definition
Plural scutella scutella
- A shieldlike bony plate or scale, as on the thorax of some insects.
- The large, shield-shaped cotyledon of the embryo of a grass plant, specialized for the absorption of food from the endosperm.