- Bot. any of various parts shaped like a shield
Origin of scutellumModL < L scutella, a salver: see scuttleZool. a small, horny scale or plate
Origin of scutellumModL, mistaken for Classical Latin scutulum: see scutellate
- Zoology A shield-shaped sclerite on the mesothorax of certain insects, posterior to the scutum.
- Botany Any of several shield-shaped structures, such as the cotyledon of a grass.
Origin of scutellumNew Latin scūtellum, from Latin, diminutive of scūtum, shield; see Scutum .
- Any of several shield-shaped structures in insects, grasses etc
- (lichenology) A rounded apothecium having an elevated rim formed of the proper thallus, the fructification of certain lichens.
- (zoology) The third of the four pieces forming the upper part of a thoracic segment of an insect. It follows the scutum, and is followed by the small postscutellum.
- (zoology) One of the transverse scales on the tarsi and toes of birds.