- a lean, scrawny person or animal
- a thin, stunted tree or plant
- the neck, or back of the neck, of mutton, veal, etc.
- Slang the human neck
Origin: prob. < ON, as in Norw skragg, feeble, stunted person, Dan skrog, ON skrggr, fox (nickname) < IE base *(s)ker-, to shrivel, shrink
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- A bony or scrawny person or animal.
- A piece of lean or bony meat, especially a neck of mutton.
- Slang The human neck.
Origin: Perhaps from dialectal crag, neck, from Middle English cragge, from Middle Dutch crāghe, throat.