roulette definition by Webster's New World
- a gambling game played by rolling a small ball around a shallow bowl with an inner disk () revolving in the opposite direction: the ball finally comes to rest in one of the red or black, numbered compartments into which this disk is divided, thus determining the winning bets
- a small toothed wheel attached to a handle, for making rows of marks or dots, as in engraving, or incisions, as between postage stamps
- a series of small, consecutive incisions made in the paper between the stamps in a sheet of stamps, to facilitate their separation
Origin: French ; from Old French roelette, diminutive of roele, small wheel ; from Late Latin rotella, diminutive ; from Classical Latin rota, wheel: see roll
roulette definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- A gambling game in which the players bet on which slot of a rotating disk a small ball will come to rest in.
- a. A small toothed disk of tempered steel attached to a handle and used to make rows of dots, slits, or perforations, as in engraving or on a sheet of postage stamps.b. Any of the short consecutive incisions made between individual stamps in a sheet for easy separation.
Origin: French, from Old French ruelete, feminine diminutive of ruele, diminutive of roue, wheel, from Latin rota; see ret- in Indo-European roots.