- the Holy Roman Empire, regarded as the first German empire (First Reich)
- Germany or the German government; specif.,
- the German Empire from 1871 to 1919 (Second Reich)
- the German republic from 1919 to 1933 (Weimar Republic)
- the German fascist state under the Nazis from 1933 to 1945 (Third Reich)
Origin of ReichGerman from Old High German rihhi, akin to Old English rice, Gothic reiki from Indo-European base an unverified form re?-, to put in order, straight from source right
The territory or government of a German state, as the Holy Roman Empire, or First Reich, from 962 to 1806; the German Empire, or Second Reich, from 1871 to 1919; the Weimar Republic, from 1919 to 1933; or the Third Reich, from 1933 to 1945.
Origin of ReichGerman empire, realm from Middle High German rīch, rīche from Old High German rīhhi ; see reg- in Indo-European roots.
- First Reich
- Second Reich
- Third Reich
From German Reich (“empire, realm").