- a person charged with keeping a register
- a college or university official responsible for registering students, maintaining their records, etc.
- a bank or trust company charged with keeping a record of the shares of a corporation and making certain that the number of shares issued does not exceed the number authorized
Origin of registrarMiddle English registrer from Medieval Latin registrarius
- One who is in charge of official records.
- An officer in a college or university who keeps the records of enrollment and academic standing.
- An officer of a corporation responsible for maintaining records of ownership of its securities.
- An admitting officer in a hospital.
Origin of registrarProbably from registrary from Medieval Latin registrārius from registrum register ; see register .
From Medieval Latin registrarius, from registrum (“register") + -arius (“agent"). See more at register.
registrar - Computer Definition
registrar - Investment & Finance Definition
A bank or trust company that is responsible for keeping a record of the owners of a company’s securities, such as bonds and stocks, and making sure that the authorized amount of stock in circulation is not exceeded. A company’s board of directors or its shareholders must approve any increase in the amount of authorized stock shares over the company’s authorized limit.
registrar - Legal Definition