- moving in a straight line
- forming a straight line
- bounded or formed by straight lines
- characterized by straight lines
- Optics corrected so as not to distort straight lines: said of a type of lens
Origin of rectilinearfrom Late Latin rectilineus from recti- (see recti-) + linea, line + -ar
Moving in, consisting of, bounded by, or characterized by a straight line or lines: following a rectilinear path; rectilinear patterns in wallpaper.
Origin of rectilinearFrom Late Latin rēctilīneus Latin rēctus right ; see reg- in Indo-European roots.Latin līnea line ; see line 1.
(comparative more rectilinear, superlative most rectilinear)
- In a straight line.
- The crankshaft and connecting rods of an engine convert the rectilinear motion of the pistons to rotary motion of the flywheel.
- (geometry, art) Formed from straight lines.