- Rapier is a thin, two-edged sword or speech that is clever.
- An example of rapier is a sword.
- An example of rapier is a comedian's comebacks.
A vintage rapier.
a slender, two-edged sword used chiefly for thrusting
Origin of rapierFrench rapière, origin, originally adjective , in Old French espee (sword) rapiere ; from uncertain or unknown; perhaps râper, to rasp, ultimately ; from Old High German raspon, to scrape together: see rasp
- A long, slender, two-edged sword with a cuplike hilt, used in the 1500s and 1600s.
- A light, sharp-pointed sword lacking a cutting edge and used only for thrusting.
Origin of rapierFrench rapière, from Old French (espee) rapiere, rapier (sword).
(comparative more rapier, superlative most rapier)
From Middle French (espee) rapiere.