- consisting of or including five
- five times as much or as many; fivefold
Origin of quintupleMiddle French from Medieval Latin quintuplus from Classical Latin quintus, a fifth (see quintet) + -plus: see double
intransitive verb-·pled, -·pling
- Consisting of five parts or members.
- Five times as much in size, strength, number, or amount.
tr. & intr.v.quin·tu·pled, quin·tu·pling, quin·tu·ples
Origin of quintupleFrench from Old FrenchLatin quīntus fifth ; see penkwe in Indo-European roots. -ple -fold ( from Latin -plus ; see pel-2 in Indo-European roots.)
- a fivefold amount
(third-person singular simple present quintuples, present participle quintupling, simple past and past participle quintupled) (transitive or intransitive)
- to multiply something (be multiplied) by five
From Middle French quintuple.