- consisting of or including five
- five times as much or as many; fivefold
Origin of quintupleMiddle French ; from Medieval Latin quintuplus ; from Classical Latin quintus, a fifth (see quintet) + -plus: see double
- Consisting of five parts or members.
- Five times as much in size, strength, number, or amount.
tr. & intr.v.quin·tu·pled, quin·tu·pling, quin·tu·ples
Origin of quintupleFrench, from Old French : Latin qu&imacron;ntus, fifth; see penkwe in Indo-European roots + -ple, -fold (from Latin -plus; see pel-2 in Indo-European roots).
- a fivefold amount
(third-person singular simple present quintuples, present participle quintupling, simple past and past participle quintupled) (transitive or intransitive)
- to multiply something (be multiplied) by five
From Middle French quintuple.