- Quetzal is defined as a brightly-colored, crested bird found in Central America and Mexico.
An example of a quetzal is a bright red and green bird living in western Mexico.
- The definition of a quetzal is the basic form of money in Guatemala.
An example of a quetzal is what someone traveling in Guatemala would use to buy food on the street.
A beautiful male quetzal.
quetzal definition by Webster's New World
- a crested trogon bird (Pharomachrus mocinno) of Central America, usually brilliant green above and red below, with long, streaming tail feathers in the male
- pl. quetzales the basic monetary unit of Guatemala
Origin: American Spanish ; from Nahuatl quetzaltototl ; from quetzalli, tail feather plush tototls, bird
quetzal definition by American Heritage Dictionary
noun pl. quet·zals or quet·za·les
- A Central American bird (Pharomachrus mocino) that has brilliant bronze-green and red plumage and, in the male, long flowing tail feathers.
- See Table at currency.
Origin: American Spanish, from Nahuatl quetzalli, large brilliant tail feather.
quetzal - Investment & Finance Definition
The currency unit of Guatemala, comprised of 100 centavos.