From queen + -hood.
Variant of queen
- the wife of a king
- a woman who rules over a monarchy in her own right; female sovereign
- a woman foremost or judged to be foremost among others in certain attributes or accomplishments, as beauty, etc.
- a place or thing regarded as the best or most beautiful of its kind
- the fully developed, reproductive female in a colony of bees, ants, or termites
- a playing card with a conventionalized picture of a queen on it
- Slang a male homosexual, specif. one with pronounced feminine characteristics: term of contempt or derision
- Chess the most powerful piece, permitted to move any number of unoccupied squares in a horizontal, vertical, or diagonal direction
Origin of queenMiddle English quen ; from Old English cwen: see quean
- to make (a girl or woman) a queen
- Chess to make a queen of (a pawn that has reached the opponent's end of the board)
to reign as queen
to act like a queen; domineer