Variant of quarantine
- the period, orig. 40 days, during which an arriving vessel suspected of carrying contagious disease is detained in port in strict isolation
- the place where such a vessel is stationed
- any isolation or restriction on travel or passage imposed to keep contagious diseases, insect pests, etc. from spreading
- the state of being quarantined
- a place where persons, animals, or plants having contagious diseases, insect pests, etc. are kept in isolation, or beyond which they may not travel
- any period of seclusion, social ostracism, etc.
Origin of quarantineItalian quarantina, literally , space of forty days ; from quaranta, forty ; from Classical Latin quadraginta ; from base of quattuor, four