- the period, orig. 40 days, during which an arriving vessel suspected of carrying contagious disease is detained in port in strict isolation
- the place where such a vessel is stationed
- any isolation or restriction on travel or passage imposed to keep contagious diseases, insect pests, etc. from spreading
- the state of being quarantined
- a place where persons, animals, or plants having contagious diseases, insect pests, etc. are kept in isolation, or beyond which they may not travel
- any period of seclusion, social ostracism, etc.
It quarantina, lit., space of forty days < quaranta, forty < L quadraginta < base of quattuor, four
transitive verb quarantined, quarantining
- to place under quarantine
- to isolate politically, commercially, socially, etc.