- a nice point of conduct, ceremony, etc.
- observance of petty formalities
Origin of punctilioaltered (infl. by L) ; from Spanish puntillo or Italian puntiglio, diminutive of punto ; from Classical Latin punctum, a point
- A fine point of etiquette.
- Precise observance of formalities.
Origin of punctilioObsolete Italian punctiglio, from Spanish puntillo, diminutive of punto, point, from Latin pūnctum, from neuter past participle of pungere, to prick; see peuk- in Indo-European roots.
- A fine point in exactness of conduct, ceremony or procedure. Strictness in observance of formalities.
Part or all of this entry has been imported from the 1913 edition of Webster's Dictionary, which is now free of copyright and hence in the public domain. The imported definitions may be significantly out of date, and any more recent senses may be completely missing.