punctilio[puŋk til′ē ō′]
- a nice point of conduct, ceremony, etc.
- observance of petty formalities
Origin of punctilioaltered (infl. by L) ; from Spanish puntillo or Italian puntiglio, diminutive of punto ; from Classical Latin punctum, a point
- A fine point of etiquette.
- Precise observance of formalities.
Origin of punctilioObsolete Italian punctiglio, from Spanish puntillo, diminutive of punto, point, from Latin pūnctum, from neuter past participle of pungere, to prick; see peuk- in Indo-European roots.
- A fine point in exactness of conduct, ceremony or procedure. Strictness in observance of formalities.