- an original draft or record of a document, negotiation, etc.
- a diplomatic agreement, esp. one that amends, clarifies, or adds to a treaty
- the code of ceremonial forms and courtesies, of precedence, etc. accepted as proper and correct in official dealings, as between heads of states or diplomatic officials
- in science and medicine, a formal set of rules and procedures to be followed during a particular research experiment, course of treatment, etc.
- a set of rules governing the communication and the transfer of data between machines, as in a computer system
Early ModE prothocoll < MFr prothocole < ML protocollum < LGr prōtokollon, first leaf glued to a manuscript (describing the contents) < Gr prōto-, proto- + kolla, glue
transitive verb protocolled or protocoled, protocolling or protocoling
to issue in a protocol