(prə tek′tər it, prō-)
- government by a protector
- the office or term of office of a protector
- the relation of a strong state to a weaker state under its control and protection
- a state or territory so controlled and protected
- the government of England under Oliver Cromwell and his son Richard (1653-59)
See protectorate in American Heritage Dictionary 4
a. A relationship of protection and partial control assumed by a superior power over a dependent country or region.
b. The protected country or region.
a. The government, office, or term of a protector.
b. The government of England under Oliver Cromwell and his son Richard, ruling as Lord Protector of the Commonwealth.
Learn more about protectorate