- government by a protector
- the office or term of office of a protector
- the relation of a strong state to a weaker state under its control and protection
- a state or territory so controlled and protected
- [P-] the government of England under Oliver Cromwell and his son Richard (1653-59)
- a. A relationship of protection and partial control assumed by a superior power over a dependent country or region.b. The protected country or region.
- Protectorate a. The government, office, or term of a protector.b. The government of England under Oliver Cromwell and his son Richard, ruling as Lord Protector of the Commonwealth.
- Government by a protector; -- applied especially to the government of England by Oliver Cromwell.
- The authority assumed by a superior power over an inferior or a dependent one, whereby the former protects the latter from invasion and shares in the management of its affairs.
- An autonomous territory that is protected diplomatically or militarily against third parties by a stronger state or entity.