- Prophylaxis is the prevention and treatment of a disease, or a cleaning of teeth in the dental office.
- An example of a prophylaxis is a vaccine such as the polio vaccine.
- An example of a prophylaxis is having the tartar scraped off your teeth.
- the prevention of or protection from disease; prophylactic treatment
- Dentistry a mechanical cleaning of teeth to remove plaque and tartar
Origin of prophylaxisModern Latin ; from prophylactic, based on Classical Greek phylaxis, a watching ; from phylax, guard
Prevention of or protective treatment for disease.
Origin of prophylaxisNew Latin, from Greek prophulaktikos, prophylactic; see prophylactic.
From Latin, from Ancient Greek πρό (pro, “before”) + φυλάξις (phylaxis, “a watching, guarding”).