Variant of progressive
- moving forward or onward
- continuing by successive steps: a progressive decline
- of, or concerned with, progression
- designating a tax whose rate increases as the base increases
- favoring, working for, or characterized by progress or improvement, as through political or social reform
- of or having to do with a person, movement, etc. thought of as being modern or advanced, as in ideas, methods, etc.
- ☆ of an educational system stressing individuality, self-expression, etc.
- Gram. indicating continuing action or state, or action in progress: used as of certain verb forms (Ex: am working, as opposed to the simple form work)
- Med. becoming more severe or spreading to other parts: said of a disease
- Politics of a Progressive Party
Origin: Middle French progressif ; from Midieval Latin progressivus ; from Classical Latin progressus: see progress
- a person who is progressive, esp. one who favors political progress or reform
- a member of a Progressive Party