- depriving or tending to deprive
- characterized by a taking away or loss of some quality
- Gram. indicating negation, absence, or loss
Origin of privativeClassical Latin privativus from past participle of privare: see private
Gram. a privative term or affix, as a- (sense ), un-, non-, or -less
- Causing deprivation, lack, or loss.
- Grammar Altering the meaning of a term from positive to negative.
A privative prefix or suffix, such as a-, non-, un-, or -less.
Origin of privativeMiddle English privatif from Latin prīvātīvus from prīvātus past participle of prīvāre to deprive ; see private .
(comparative more privative, superlative most privative)
- Something that causes privation or indicates an absence.