- Theol. the doctrine that
- God foreordained everything that would happen
- God predestines certain souls to salvation and, esp. in Calvinism, others to damnation
- a predestinating or being predestinated; destiny; fate
Origin of predestinationMiddle English predestinacioun from Ecclesiastical Late Latin praedestinatio
- The act of predestining or the condition of being predestined.
- Theology a. The doctrine that God has foreordained all things, especially that God has elected certain souls to eternal salvation.b. The divine decree foreordaining all souls to either salvation or damnation.c. The act of God foreordaining all things gone before and to come.
- Destiny; fate.
Middle English, from Old French predestination, from Late Latin praedestinatio.