- An example of pragmatics is how the same word can have different meanings in different settings.
- An example of pragmatics is the study of how people react to different symbols.
Pragmatics is the study of how words are used, or the study of signs and symbols.
- the branch of linguistics concerned with meaning in context, or the meanings of sentences in terms of the speaker's intentions in using them
- the branch of semiotics dealing with the relationships of signs and symbols to their users
nounused with a sing. verb
- The study of language as it is used in a social context, including its effect on the interlocutors.
- The branch of semiotics that deals with the relationship between signs, especially words and other elements of language, and their users.