- The definition of potted is something that has been put in a pot, or slang for intoxicated.
- An example of potted is a flower plant that has been planted in a container.
- An example of potted is when Uncle Harry drank too many egg nogs at the family Christmas Eve tree trimming party.
potted definition by Webster's New World
- put into a pot: a potted plant
- cooked or preserved in a pot or can
- ☆ Slang intoxicated; drunk
- Brit. condensed or summarized, often so as to be too brief, superficial, etc.: potted biographies
potted definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- a. Placed in a pot.b. Grown in a pot: many potted plants in the study.
- Preserved in a pot, can, or jar.
- Slang a. Intoxicated; drunk.b. Under the influence of a hallucinogenic drug.
Variant of pot
- a round vessel of any size, made of metal, earthenware, or glass, used for holding liquids, cooking or preserving food, etc.
- a pot with its contents
- a pot of liquor; drink; potation
- flowerpot, lobster pot, chimney pot, etc.
- chamber pot
- Slang a toilet: with the
- all the money bet at a single time; pool; kitty
- a large amount, as of money
- Informal a potshot
Origin: Middle English ; from Old English pott, akin to Dutch and amp; French pot ; from Midieval Latin pottus ; from Vulgar Latin potus, drinking cup ; from Classical Latin a drink ; from potare: see potable
- to put into a pot
- to preserve in a pot or jar
- to cook in a pot
- to shoot (game) for food instead of for sport
- to hit or secure by or as by a potshot
- Informal to secure, win, or capture; bag