- The definition of polyglot is a text that has been translated into multiple languages, or a person who knows multiple languages.
A person who knows the English, French and Spanish languages is an example of someone who would be described as a polyglot.
- A polyglot is defined as a person who speaks multiple languages.
A person who speaks French, Spanish and English is an example of a polyglot.
- speaking or writing several languages
- containing or written in several languages
Origin: Gr polyglōttos from poly-, poly- plush glōtta, the tongue: see glottis
- a polyglot person
- a polyglot book
- a mixture or confusion of languages
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- A person having a speaking, reading, or writing knowledge of several languages.
- A book, especially a Bible, containing several versions of the same text in different languages.
- A mixture or confusion of languages.
Origin: French polyglotte, from Greek poluglōttos : polu-, poly- + glōtta, tongue, language.
- polˈy·glotˌism, polˈy·glotˌtism noun