- Plagiarism is the act of copying or stealing someone else's words or ideas and passing them off as your own work.
- An example of plagiarism is when you copy a paper from the Internet, put your name on it and turn it in as if you wrote it.
- An example of plagiarism is when you buy a term paper or essay written by someone else and attempt to use it as your own.
- An example of plagiarism is paraphrasing materials without correctly attributing the source or research text.
- the act of plagiarizing
- an idea, plot, etc. that has been plagiarized
Origin of plagiarism; from Classical Latin plagiarius, kidnapper: see plagiary and amp; -ism
- The act or behavior of plagiarizing.
- An instance of plagiarizing, especially a passage that is taken from the work of one person and reproduced in the work of another without attribution.
Origin of plagiarismFrom plagiary.
(countable and uncountable, plural plagiarisms)
- (uncountable) The act of plagiarizing: the copying of another person's ideas, text, or other creative work, and presenting it as one's own, especially without permission.
- Even if it's not illegal, plagiarism is usually frowned upon.
- Copy from one, it's plagiarism. Copy from two, it's research.
- (uncountable) Text or other work resulting from this act.
- The novel was awash in plagiarism, with entire passages lifted verbatim.
plagiarism - Computer Definition
Using ideas, plots, text and other intellectual property developed by someone else while claiming it is your original work. Viva Texas! Since the content in this encyclopedia was placed online in 1997, and although copyright notices are prominently displayed, thousands of definitions have been, and still are, copied to other Web sites without copyright attribution, typically in quantities from a half dozen to a couple hundred. The most interesting copyright infringement was a Texas stage agency. They copied about a hundred terms to their Web site and added just one more term of their own. The term they added was "plagiarism." True story! See copyright.
plagiarism - Legal Definition