- Robbing a ship at sea is an example of piracy.
- Downloading a copyrighted song off the Internet is an example of piracy.
- robbery of ships on the high seas
- the unauthorized publication, reproduction, or use of a copyrighted or patented work
- the illegal recording, transmission, or reception of radio or TV broadcasts
Origin of piracyMedieval Latin piratia ; from Classical Greek peirateia ; from peirat?s, pirate
- a. Robbery or other serious acts of violence committed at sea.b. The hijacking of an airplane: air piracy.
- Copyright or patent infringement: software piracy.
- The illegal interception or use of radio or television signals.
- An instance of piracy: a surge of piracies.
Origin of piracyMedieval Latin p&imacron;r&amacron;tia, from Late Greek peir&amacron;teia, from Greek peir&amacron;t&emacron;s, pirate; see pirate.
(countable and uncountable, plural piracies)
- (nautical) Robbery at sea, a violation of international law; taking a ship away from the control of those who are legally entitled to it.
- How shoud the international community respond to Somali piracy?
- A similar violation of international law, such as hijacking of an aircraft.
- The unauthorized duplication of goods protected by intellectual property law (e.g. copying software unlawfully).
- The operation of an unlicensed radio or television station.
piracy - Computer Definition
Copying protected software without authorization; in most jurisdictions, it is considered a crime.
See Also: Authorization; Copyright Laws; Digital Millennium Copyright Act (DMCA); Infringing Intellectual Property Rights and Copyright.
piracy - Investment & Finance Definition
The illegal copying of music or software programs, which deprives record and software companies and their artists of profits. In the music industry the piracy of compact disks (CDs) has become a significant problem that may significantly cut into the industry’s profits. Software companies also have faced the same problem, especially in areas outside the United States where copyright laws aren’t as strict.
piracy - Legal Definition
- Robbery, kidnapping, or other criminal activity at sea.
- Illegal and unauthorized copying or distributing materials protected under copyright, trademark, or patent law. See also infringement.