- Dial. an ant
- Slang a person regarded as insignificant and contemptible
Origin of pissantpiss + ant: see pismire
Slang insignificant and contemptible
also piss-ant Slang
- One that is insignificant.
- Obsolete An ant.
Not important; insignificant: “Some pissant Texas court wants to make [the company] pay &ellipsis; more than $10 billion in reparations” (New Republic).
Origin of pissantModeled on pismire.
- (dated outside dialects) An ant.
- (pejorative) An insignificant person.
- (pejorative) A person who adheres strictly to a rule or policy despite current circumstances.
- Their super is a real pissant about break times.
- (pejorative) A person seemingly incapable of focusing on anything but the trivial, especially in the sense of trivial or irrelevant criticism.
(comparative more pissant, superlative most pissant)
- Insignificant or unimportant.