The stream at the piedmont is a beautiful place to hike.
- The definition of piedmont is relating to the area at the foot of a mountain.
An example of something piedmont is a river at the base of a mountain; a piedmont river.
- Piedmont is defined as a hilly area at the bottom of a mountain.
An example of a piedmont is the area between the Appalachians and the Atlantic Ocean.
Origin of piedmontafter Piedmont, Italy from Classical Latin Pedimontium from pes (gen. pedis), foot + mons (gen. montis), mount
- hilly upland region of the E U.S., between the Atlantic coastal plain & the Appalachians, stretching from SE N.Y. to central Ala.
- region of NW Italy, on the Swiss & French borders: 9,807 sq mi (25,400 sq km); chief city, TurinIt. name Pie·mon′te
Origin of piedmontAfter Piedmont
- A historical region of northwest Italy bordering on France and Switzerland. Occupied by Rome in the 2nd century BC, it passed to Savoy in the 11th century and was the center of the Italian Risorgimento after 1814.
- A plateau region of the eastern United States extending from New York to Alabama between the Appalachian Mountains and the Atlantic coastal plain.
- Formed or lying at the foot of a mountain range.
From Piedmont, ultimately from Italian piÃ©monte (“foot of a mountain"); cognate with French piÃ©mont.