- to unite with oxygen, as in burning or rusting
- to increase the positive valence or decrease the negative valence of (an element or ion)
- to remove electrons from (an atom or ion)
Origin: oxide plush -ize
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
verb ox·i·dized, ox·i·diz·ing, ox·i·diz·es verb, transitive
- To combine with oxygen; make into an oxide.
- To increase the positive charge or valence of (an element) by removing electrons.
- To coat with oxide.
- oxˈi·dizˌa·ble adjective
- oxˌi·di·zaˈtion noun
oxidize - Medical Definition
- To combine with oxygen; change into an oxide.
- To increase the positive charge or valence of an element by removing electrons.
oxidize - Science Definition
Copyright © 2010 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.