transitive verboxidized, oxidizing
- to unite with oxygen, as in burning or rusting
- to increase the positive valence or decrease the negative valence of (an element or ion)
- to remove electrons from (an atom or ion)
Origin of oxidizeoxide + -ize
verbox·i·dized, ox·i·diz·ing, ox·i·diz·es
- To combine with oxygen; make into an oxide.
- To increase the positive charge or valence of (an element) by removing electrons.
- To coat with oxide.
(third-person singular simple present oxidizes, present participle oxidizing, simple past and past participle oxidized)
oxide +â€Ž -ize