- any of various willows (esp. Salix viminalis and S. purpurea) whose lithe branches or stems are used for baskets and furniture
- a willow branch used for wickerwork
- ☆ any of several North American dogwoods
Origin: ME osiere < OFr < ML auseria, willow
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- a. Any of several willows having long rodlike twigs used in basketry, especially the Eurasian Salix viminalis and S. purpurea.b. A twig of one of these trees.
- Any of various similar or related trees.
Origin: Middle English, from Old English oser and Old French osier, both from Medieval Latin osera, osiera.