- any of various willows (esp. Salix viminalis and S. purpurea) whose lithe branches or stems are used for baskets and furniture
- a willow branch used for wickerwork
- any of several North American dogwoods
Origin of osierMiddle English osiere from Old French from Medieval Latin auseria, willow
- a. Any of several willows having long rodlike twigs used in basketry, especially Salix viminalis, native to Eurasia.b. A twig of one of these shrubs or trees.
- Any of several North American dogwoods, especially the red osier.
Origin of osierMiddle English from Old English oser Old French osier both from Medieval Latin osera, osiera