- Onto is defined as to or upon.
An example of onto is someone jumping from the top of one rock to another.
- to and upon; to a position on
- ☆ Slang aware of or familiar with, esp. aware of the real nature or meaning of: they're onto our schemes
- being, existence: ontology
- organism: ontogeny
Origin: from Glassical Greek ōn (gen. ontos), present participle of einai, to be from Indo-European base an unverified form es- from source is
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- On top of; to a position on; upon: The dog jumped onto the chair. See Usage Note at on.
- Informal Fully aware of; informed about: The police are onto the robbers' plans.
- Existence; being: ontology.
- Organism: ontogeny.
Origin: Late Greek, from Greek ōn, ont-, present participle of einai, to be; see es- in Indo-European roots.
onto - Medical Definition