- an instrument for cracking the shells of nuts, usually consisting of two hinged metal levers, between which the nut is squeezed
- either of two jaylike corvid birds that feed on nuts; specif.,
- a white-spotted, dark-brown bird (Nucifraga caryocatactes) of Europe
- the grayish Clark's nutcracker (N. columbiana) of W North America
- a. An implement used to crack nuts, typically consisting of two hinged metal levers between which the nut is squeezed.b. A decorative, usually wooden statue or figurine, especially of a soldier or king, that has a hinged lever to open and close the mouth.
- Either of two birds, Nucifraga caryocatactes of northern Eurasia or N. columbiana of western North America, that feed chiefly on the seeds of pine cones.
nutcracker - Computer Definition
A software porting tool for converting Unix/Linux applications to Windows, originally from software development firm DataFocus, Inc., Fairfax, VA. When DataFocus merged with Mortice Kern Systems Inc. (www.mks.com) in 1999, the NutCRACKER product suite became MKS Toolkit for Enterprise Developers. This comprehensive set of Unix utilities has become a leading player in the interoperability marketplace of Unix to Windows migration. For more information, visit www.mkssoftware.com.