- Nuclear energy is a source of power which is created from energy released by a nuclear reaction.
An example of nuclear energy is the electricity generated by a nuclear reactor, which is the major power source used in Japan.
A plant for the production of atomic or nuclear energy.
nuclear energy definition by Webster's New World
nuclear energy definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- The energy released by a nuclear reaction, especially by fission or fusion.
- Nuclear energy regarded as a source of power. Also called atomic energy.
nuclear energy - Cultural Definition
Energy obtained from nuclear reactions.
nuclear energy - Science Definition
- The energy released by the nucleus of an atom as the result of nuclear fission, nuclear fusion, or radioactive decay. The amount of energy released by the nuclear fission of a given mass of uranium is about 2,500,000 times greater than that released by the combustion of an equal mass of carbon. And the amount of energy released by the nuclear fusion of a given mass of deuterium is about 400 times greater that that released by the nuclear fission of an equal mass of uranium. Also called atomic energy.
- Electricity generated by a nuclear reactor.