- any of the Scandinavians who occupied Normandy in the 10th cent.
- a descendant of the Normans and French who conquered England in 1066
- Norman French
- a person born or living in Normandy
Origin of NormanOld French Normant or Medieval Latin Normannus, both from Frankish an unverified form nortman from an unverified form nort, akin to Old English north, north + an unverified form man, akin to man
- of Normandy or its people, language, or culture
- designating or of the Romanesque style of architecture as it flourished in Normandy and, after the Norman Conquest, as developed in England: characterized by massive construction, round arches over recessed doors and windows, and carving