- Nonfiction is a story that is based on true events and information.
An autobiography about someone's life is an example of nonfiction.
nonfiction definition by American Heritage Dictionary
The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th edition Copyright © 2010 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
- The category of literature, drama, film, or other creative work, including essays, expository prose, and documentaries, whose content is based on fact and is not imagined.
- a. Works in this category: I've read her novels but not her nonfiction.b. A work in this category: the nonfictions of V.S. Naipaul.
- non·fic′tion, non·fic′tion·al
nonfiction definition by Wiktionary
(countable and uncountable, plural nonfictions)
- Written works intended to give facts, or true accounts of real things and events. Often used attributively.
- Encyclopedias, how-to manuals and biographies are all considered nonfiction and so are kept in the nonfiction section.