The definition of a namesake is a person named after someone.
An example of a namesake is a son given the exact same name as his father.
a person with the same name as another; specif.,
- a person in relation to someone he or she is named after
- a person in relation to someone named after him or her
Origin of namesakeearlier name's sake
One that is named after another.
Origin of namesakeFrom the phrase for the name's sake
- One who is named after another or for whom another is named.
- A person with the same name as another.
- A ship or a building that is named after someone or something