- The definition of a mugger is a thief who attacks someone in a public place, usually with a gun or by making a threat, in order to take the person's personal property.
A person who comes up to you on a dark street who says "give me all your money," is an example of a mugger.
mugger definition by Webster's New World
- one who assaults with intent to rob
- Theater one who overacts, esp. by exaggerated facial expressions
Origin: Hindi magar ; from Sanskrit makara, sea monster
mugger definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- One who commits a mugging.
- One who makes exaggerated faces, as in performing.
Origin: Hindi magar, from Sanskrit makaraḥ, crocodile, of Dravidian origin.