Variant of mug
- a heavy drinking cup of earthenware or metal, having a handle and formerly often ornamented with a human face
- as much as a mug will hold
- the face
- the mouth
- a grimace
- a rough, ugly person; ruffian, thug, etc.
- ☆ mug shot
Origin: prob. < Scand, as in Swed mugg
- to assault usually with intent to rob
- ☆ Slang to photograph; esp., to photograph (a person under arrest) for police records
- to assault a person, usually with intent to rob
- to make a grimace
- Theater to overact by exaggerated facial expressions
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.