Variant of motion
- the act or process of moving; passage of a body from one place to another; movement
- the act of moving the body or any of its parts
- a meaningful movement of the hand, eyes, etc.; gesture
- Rare the ability to move
- an impulse; inclination: of one's own motion
- a proposal; suggestion; esp. a proposal formally made in an assembly or meeting
- Law an application to a court for a ruling, order, etc.
- Mech. a combination of moving parts; mechanism
- Music melodic progression, as a change from one pitch to another in a voice part
Origin: Middle English mocioun from Classical Latin motio (gen. motionis), a moving from motus, past participle of movere, move
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.