momentarily[mō′mən ter′ə lē]
- for a moment or short time
- in an instant
- from moment to moment; at any moment
- For a moment or an instant.
- Usage Problem In a moment; very soon.
- Many speakers object to the use of momentarily in the sense of â€œin a momentâ€ rather than â€œfor a momentâ€, since this is inconsistent with the meaning of momentary; nonetheless, this use is quite common in North America, and is particularly associated with airlines, such as â€œwe will be landing momentarilyâ€. In place of momentarily, many speakers prefer the terms presently, soon or the phrase â€œin a momentâ€, for this sense of â€œin a momentâ€.
From momentary + -ly.