momentarily[mō′mən ter′ə lē]
- for a moment or short time
- in an instant
- from moment to moment; at any moment
- For a moment or an instant.
- Usage Problem In a moment; very soon.
- Many speakers object to the use of momentarily in the sense of “in a moment” rather than “for a moment”, since this is inconsistent with the meaning of momentary; nonetheless, this use is quite common in North America, and is particularly associated with airlines, such as “we will be landing momentarily”. In place of momentarily, many speakers prefer the terms presently, soon or the phrase “in a moment”, for this sense of “in a moment”.