- The definition of a miser is a greedy person who hoards all his money.
Someone who lives very meagerly and never spends money is an example of a miser.
- a greedy, stingy person who hoards money for its own sake, even at the expense of personal comfort
- Obsolete a miserable person; wretch
Origin of miserClassical Latin wretched, unhappy, ill, worthless
- One who lives very meagerly in order to hoard money.
- A greedy or avaricious person.
Origin of miserFrom Latin, wretched.
From Late Latin miser (“wretched, unfortunate, unhappy, miserable, sick, ill, bad, worthless, etc.").