An example of minimalism is a stage set with only a chair for a theatrical performance.
- action of a minimal or conservative kind
- a movement in art, dance, music, etc., beginning in the 1960s, in which only the simplest designs, structures, forms, etc. are used, often repetitively, and the artist's individuality is minimized
- A school of abstract painting and sculpture that emphasizes extreme simplification of form, as by the use of basic shapes and monochromatic palettes of primary colors, objectivity, and anonymity of style. Also called ABC art, minimal art, reductivism, rejective art.
- Use of the fewest and barest essentials or elements, as in the arts, literature, or design.
- Music A style of music marked by extreme simplification of rhythms, patterns, and harmonies, prolonged chordal or melodic repetitions, and often a trancelike effect.
(countable and uncountable, plural minimalisms)