The definition of militarism is a belief that a strong military force should be maintained and used aggressively to defend or promote national interests.
A belief that you need to devote a lot of money to defense spending to build up a military is an example ofmilitarism.
- the glorification or prevalence of a military spirit, attitudes, etc. in a nation, or the predominance of the military caste in government
- the policy of maintaining a strong military organization in aggressive preparedness for war
Origin of militarismFrench militarisme
- Glorification of the ideals of a professional military class.
- Predominance of the armed forces in the administration or policy of the state.
- A policy in which military preparedness is of primary importance to a state.
(countable and uncountable, plural militarisms)