- The definition of ideology is the set of ideas and beliefs that are important to a person, a group, or a culture.
An example of an ideology is a candidate's statement about their beliefs.
- Archaic the study of the nature and origin of ideas
- thinking or theorizing of an idealistic, abstract, or impractical nature; fanciful speculation
- the doctrines, opinions, or way of thinking of an individual, class, etc.; specif., the body of ideas on which a particular political, economic, or social system is based
Origin: Fr idéologie: see ideo- and amp; -logy
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
noun pl. i·de·ol·o·gies
- The body of ideas reflecting the social needs and aspirations of an individual, group, class, or culture.
- A set of doctrines or beliefs that form the basis of a political, economic, or other system.
Origin: French idéologie : idéo-, ideo- + -logie, -logy.
- iˌde·olˈo·gist noun
ideology - Cultural Definition
ideology - Medical Definition